• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Flee bites!!

Ds

Bluelight Crew
Ahhhh they fucking itch!!!!
So I have atlest 50 or more flee bites on both of my ankles, it's driveing me crazy not to itch them.
My aunt thinks putting posion down, or fogging the house will make her dogs sick(im sure they'd rather be in the house bombed and kill their flees than be outside.) So here I am, I've tried everything. I think the only medicine we have is some everclear and other strong liquors that my family thinks will solve any illness.( im out n the country.)
I got 2 questions, I'm going to walmart to buy some itch stuff, what shouls I get for this many flee bites? cortazonen creme? the itch stick thing? I swear if i put anymore everclear on my ankles i'm going to be to drunk to drive.

Second, how can I safely kill these flees? You know any home remmidies to trap them and kill them??

thanks
next time u scratch think of me :(
d

I swear if i put anymore everclear on my ankles i'm going to be to drunk to drive.
Get some calahist from the drugstore and apply to bitten areas. Then apply the everclear to your mouth ;)
Seriously though, dont use liquor on bug bites.

How to kill them? Sorry, not sure.

Yeah get cortizone it will help stop the itching and make any swelling around the bites go down. I dont think everclear is doind anything other than sterilizying the bites. I don't know how to trap fleas only thing thats coming to mind is poisin and those glue traps.

getting rid of flees is a pain in the ass. The most important thing to do is keep everything clean and vacuum religiously.

Otherwise, follow the tips here at Mother Earth News

Sprays containing d-Limonene (a citrus peal extract that is approved for human consumption) is awesome. It kills flees on contact.

... how can I safely kill these flees? You know any home remmidies to trap them and kill them??

getting rid of flees is a pain in the ass. The most important thing to do is keep everything clean and vacuum religiously.

Otherwise, follow the tips here at Mother Earth News

Sprays containing d-Limonene (a citrus peal extract that is approved for human consumption) is awesome. It kills flees on contact.

Sounds "natural" at first glance, Mehm, until you read a bit into it...

Hidden among the many synthetic pesticides on the market today are three organic flea fighters. The first group of these consists of two varieties of pyrethrin that are derived from the flower heads of several types of Old World chrysanthemums; their pesticidal properties have been utilized for centuries.

A much newer natural agent, d-Limonene, is a by-product of the citrus industry and carries a mild, grapefruitlike odor.

But it's the third of the three natural pesticides that is the safest and that offers the greatest hope. While both pyrethrins and limonenes are much less toxic than the synthetic organophosphates and carbamates, they should still be used with caution. There's only one pesticide, natural or otherwise, that's a specific for insects and completely safe. Diatomaceousearth is a type of fossilized algae that resembles chalk dust. The fine, sharp-edged particles attach themselves to and penetrate the waxy coating on a flea's shell-like exoskeleton, causing the little bloodsucker to dehydrate and die.

Please note the repeated use of the term "pesticide". Not something we should be turning to as a solution of first resort, "natural" source or not.

Diatomaceous Earth is good stuff to spread around the corners and crevices of your dwelling - inside and outside around the foundation - to keep all kinds of insects at bay. It basically lacerates the hell out of their bodies. For use on your animals, there is a much more pleasant solution - Apple Cider Vinegar.

Add small amounts of ACV to your pets' drinking water until your reach a dosage of about one teaspoon per bowl for small animals and one tablespoon per large bowl for larger dogs (works on goats and horses too, if you have those lazying about on your couch or floor). The dosage is about one to three tablespoons per gallon of drinking water, but it can be mixed into whatever the animals prefer to drink.

That website also mentions mixing garlic into your pets' food? Message from Your Pets United: Ewww! While you may like the smell and taste of garlic, do you honestly think your pets will? Pass! Apple Cider Vinegar, on the other hand, your pets will generally take a liking (or not caring) to. Just make sure that it's the organic kind - unfiltered, non pasteurized. Bragg's is the most popular brand in North America. Not sure about the rest of the world.

Tell your aunt about the ACV. It will keep the fleas off the dogs and provide the added benefit of better fur health and general health overall. It's good for humans in the same manner too.

Depending on the degree of current infestation, both on the dog and in the house, it may take a couple of weeks for the fleas to give up the dogs as their home. Once gone, though, with continued ACV supplementation, they will stay off both the dog and the humans (provided the humans are supplementing themselves too). To speed up the process, along with the addition to drinking water, look into spraying the dog's fur with an ACV/water solution (full strength, or 50/50). Make sure not to spray onto any raw scratched areas, though, as it stings like hell and you'll get an "F.U., buddy!" look from the poor animal. Same goes for you. If you want to keep fleas off you, spray or wipe down your skin with an apple cider vinegar solution. Fleas don't like an acid.

Anyhow, you should be able to google more info and testimonials about the above. It's by far the most harmless of options, the way I look at it. Cheap-cheap too, and with plenty of ancillary benefits as well, unlike a "pesticide", whose one function is to kill.

For the itching, get some Tiger Balm. It should be relatively cheap. Around here, you can find it in those tiny red tins for a couple of bucks at almost every corner store, especially where the owners are Chinese or Korean. A tiny amount will do the trick. It may feel like it's beginning to burn at first, but it cools down in a hurry and then gives you a minty-cool feeling (and smell) and gets rid of the itch like no one's business. Works for all sorts of itchy bites.

Whole natural pesticides are safe. Garlic, chili, neem, etc.

Neem
is actually good as it stops the fleas from having offspring. It will not kill the existing ones, but they will not increase in population. We boil neem leaves and spray on walls, etc.

Madre de cacao is another very good plant for this.

I would go with the natural pesticide which the poster above disapproves of, if the situation is very acute. The long-term effects on the dogs and your sanity are probably worth it.

Get frontline flea stuff, it's the best thing that actually works.
http://frontline.uk.merial.com/

+100 for frontline, its the only thing that has worked with our cat. We have one cat, and a meticulously clean house (hardwoods and carpets vacuumed daily ala roomba) and we still got a horrible infestation last year. The fogger kits DO NOT work for flea infestations. The only thing that worked was using frontline and then having a professional exterminating company come in and spray. I don't like the idea of the pesticide being around, but being bitten by potentially disease carrying fleas is even worse.

set up a flea circus and get them all in attendance. then set an angry elephant loose.

that'll scare the bastards away

damn thought this said free blows for a second

im like i could go for some head

8)

One thing I forgot to mention--

This won't help cut down on the infestation that much, but putting little saucers on the floor with water in them will catch some of them. They hop around the floor and get in the water and cant get out. Unless you cover your floor with them, it probably wont help much. Its just satisfying to see that you at least killed some of them, lol

+3 for frontline. A little bit on the dogs neck and the fleas will be gone in a week. For a couple days after you apply the frontline youl get bitten a bit more often as the fleas abandon the dog but they dissapear.

Since useing front line, my dog hasnt had fleas for probably more then 5 years

Frontline is disgusting. It's neurotoxic to dogs and humans. It's also an environmental toxin that effects bees and fish and such.

Precor (methoprene) is the only synthetic 'pesticide' that is reasonably safe. It's an insect juvenile growth hormone analog.

Diatomaceous earth, sodium tetraborate, and neem oil are proven natural remedies safe to use in the house and yard.

I've heard about garlic and apple cider vinegar, but I don't really believe in them because I've not seen any evidence.

+100 for frontline, its the only thing that has worked with our cat. We have one cat, and a meticulously clean house (hardwoods and carpets vacuumed daily ala roomba) and we still got a horrible infestation last year. The fogger kits DO NOT work for flea infestations. The only thing that worked was using frontline and then having a professional exterminating company come in and spray. I don't like the idea of the pesticide being around, but being bitten by potentially disease carrying fleas is even worse.

No, it's not. Every time you're exposed to pesticides, they're killing your brain cells and damaging your liver, and maybe your heart. Flea bites are just an annoyance, you're not likely to get a disease and if you did, if it's not bubonic plague I'm not sure there's anything bad transferable via flea bite in North America.

I've heard about garlic and apple cider vinegar, but I don't really believe in them because I've not seen any evidence.

Those certainly wont kill the fleas, but it might help keep them from biting more. OP, you could experiment with those, just spray some apple cider vinegar on your legs and ankles (I wouldnt go much past the knees though, simply because you dont want to smell like a walking pickle :p) but see if it keeps them from biting you. Its totally safe for both you and the dogs, and ACV costs all of $3 for like a quart.

frontline is brilliant you can buy the drops for the dog and spray or powder for the carpets and furniture, as for yourself get some antihistamines and use something like calamine lotion over to stop the itching.
something you probably have in your house is bicarb of soda just make a paste with some water and dab on the area, or toothpaste, dont ask but it does work :)

What does brilliant mean, tiggerific? Harmful to human health and the environment?